Sunday, October 27, 2013

How to change MAC Address of existing Virtual Machines

 

I was having problem with my ethernet MAC in one of my VMs. I just did remember that I did not write post about this, so I am writing this now.

You will be simply failed if you have tried below things..,

1. Removing that ethernet from VM and adding new one

2. Generate a new MAC from the ethernet settings.

 

So what is the work around ?

lets start…,

Step 1.  Go to your VM working directory to the one you are facing issues. from Virtual Machine settings.

 

Step 2.  Edit the .vmx file by any text editor and find the below three entries below and remove completely from that file.

In my case these are below entries for you it will be in enthernet[n].generatedAddress= “your current MAC”

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:2b:5b:8e"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

image

 

Step 3.  Add a new static MAC address line to the configuration file with help of the following entries:

ethernetN.address = "00:50:56:XX:YY:ZZ"
ethernetN.addressType = “static”

XX should be  hexadecimal number between 00h and 3Fh,

YY  and ZZ should be  valid hexadecimal numbers between 00h and FFh.

No comments :